Have you ever looked around and said, "Wow, look at all the things that can kill us"?
Okay, that's an exaggeration, but the point is is that we can identify danger when we see it. Unfortunately, our dogs can't. This means that we need to identify danger for them!
This is why March is Poison Prevention Month. It helps educate us about what humans and animals can and can't have, and increase awareness about tragic health issues that can happen if we aren't careful.
So, in honor this prevention month, we're going to go over the most common poisonings that can happen to your pet. Here are the top ten most commonly reported dog poisonings, courtesy of Pet Poison Helpline:
- Foods - Artificial sweetener xylitol, which is found in a lot of sugarless gums and candies, is dangerous for dogs, as well as the big things like chocolate, and raisins/grapes.
Insecticides - This includes sprays and flea/tick treatment. Make sure that you put that flea/tick treatment on in the exact right spot (between the shoulder blades) so they don't lick it and ingest it.
Mouse/rat traps - Most mouse traps contain a poison for the mice/rats, but this poison can also be lethal to Fido.
NSAIDS (like ibuprofen and naproxen) - Yes, these makes our headaches go away, but they can be fatal to dogs and cause ulcers and kidney failure.
Household cleaners - Products high in acidity and alkaline can be fatal to your pets. Toilet bowl cleaners, drain cleaners and rust removal are highest in this. Make sure to keep all household cleaners out of reach to be safe.
Anitdepressants - Antidepressants make up for the highest call of dog poisonings. Drugs like Paxil, Prozac, and Celexa can cause major problems like seizures and sedation.
Fertilizers - While some fertilizers are safe, others contain bone meal, blood meal and iron-based products that can cause blockages in the stomach and intestines.
Acetaminophen - Dry eye and liver failure can be caused by large ingestion of acetaminophen.
- ADHD medications - These human drugs can have a drastic effect on dogs, even in minimal ingestion. It can cause seizures, tremors, elevated body temperatures and heart problems.
Veterinary pain relievers - These drugs are often prescribed to your dog as anti-inflammatory drugs, for conditions like arthritis. Make sure your dog gets just the right amount of this, because ingesting too much can cause gastric inflammation and acute kidney failure.
The important thing is to be aware! Just keep these items away from your dog and pets and you'll have a happy and healthy March.
translation missing: ja.blogs.comments.title