The best day for dogs and dog-owners is today! It's August 26th, National Dog Day!
People have been celebrating all over social media today by posting pictures of their pups. Let's check out some facts about National Dog Day that you might not have known!
- National Dog Day isn't only about the dogs we have, it's about the dogs that need homes. National Dog Day was created as a way to raise awareness about adoption and all the animals that need to be rescued.
The holiday was founded in 2004 by Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate, Colleen Paige. She is also the founder of National Mutt Day, National Cat Day, and other pet holidays!
- National Dog Day takes a strong stance against any kind of "breed ban." These are bans that exist in apartment complexes or other similar institutions that ban certain dogs just because of their breed.
- While the holiday strongly encourages adoption, they say that if you want to purchase from a breeder, make sure they are refutable. Check their licensing, internet reviews and ask for local references.
- It's called the K-9 4th of July!
- You have until MIDNIGHT to submit a picture of your dog to their contest where you can win awesome prizes. Just put a pic up on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with the hashtags #NationalDogDay and #DogDayCutestDog.
- You can get National Dog Day merchandise here and here.
- Big celebrity supporters include Emmy Rossum, Neil Patrick Harris, Ellen DeGenerous, Vanessa Hudgens, Willie Nelson and more!
It's your choice how you celebrate National Dog Day, whether it's giving them a special (healthy!) dinner, taking them for an extra long walk or just posting pictures of them like this one of my Herbie:
translation missing: ja.blogs.comments.title